November 18

As American as Apple Pie

Apple pie is one of the first things that some people think of when they hear the word, “America”.  Made with dough and cinnamon apples, this is a delicacy that is enjoyed all throughout the United States.  Apple pie may not have originated in America, but it sure is popular.  Did you know that the first known apple pie a la mode was eaten in the 1890s by Professor Charles Watson Townsend, at the Cambridge Hotel?  He often ordered vanilla ice cream with his apple pie, and one day the diner next to him, Berry Hall, asked what its name was and the professor said that it didn’t have a name, so Ms. Hall promptly bestowed upon it the name of apple pie a la mode.

Posted November 18, 2015 by ianconno in category Uncategorized

2 thoughts on “As American as Apple Pie

1. Ms. McDonnell

Howdy Ian,
    Please add to your very interesting apple pie commentary by citing your sources and adding an image. You may want to review Week 5 activities to check the steps required for each post. You write with flair and style! I hope to read more of your work as the year continues.

Ms. McD

Reply
  2. Mrs. Osborne

Hi Ian,
    I enjoyed reading your blog about apple pie. Funny how it caught my eye. After all, who doesn’t like apple pie! Interestingly, my son works in the film business and shot a show at the Cambridge Hotel and yes, they were eating apple pie ala mode!
    Mrs. Osborne

Reply